Will you buy from a Homebaker?
>> Tuesday, July 28, 2009
Two weeks ago, I stumbled upon a thread in a forum with a question if you would want to buy from a home baker. It was in response to NEA (Singapore's food licensing authority) strict licensing laws for food businesses which would not allow food prepared at home sold to the public. It means no business license for home-based food business, period.
I am not sure if this is true for the Philippines. I know DTI accepts business name registration regardless if you have a physical store or not. But Mayor's Permit for operating your business from home? That I have to verify.
Anyway, at that forum, one mom agrees on not buying from a homebaker even if she, herself, bakes for her family. She stated that sometimes a homebaker, particularly mothers, would toggle between baking and cleaning after their kids mess or washing them if they poop.
My reaction? It made me smile. If she is the baker, I wouldn't buy from her. NEVER. If she can't even guarantee the cleanliness of the food she's feeding her family, how much more the food she prepares for other people.
Now, back to the title of this post.
So... why do people still buy from homebakers despite NEA's strict no license for home prepared food policy? And back in the Philippines, why would moms prefer to buy the more expensive cake from the homebakers than buy them from famous commercial bakeries?
I have only one answer to this.
- Homebakers can customize your cake the way you want it. Commercial bakeries stick to just the specific design they have. Some moms just want their cakes/cupcakes unique.
- Since homebakers bake on a per-order basis, our goodies are preservative free.
- Most homebakers I personally know are as OC (obsessive-compulsive) in food and equipment handling as I am so I am guaranteed that the food they prepare are clean. Afterall, I can guarantee my kitchen is cleaner than the kitchen of commercial bakeries.
- Homebaked goodies are more delicious than commercial ones.
- Homebakers don't use premixes and only bake from scratch, otherwise, you are not a homebaker.
7 comments:
Kate, your clients in Pinas miss you! You're one of the best homebakers here! Please come back!
hehehe thanks, i'm flattered, maybe one day in the future hehehe.
Yea, Singapore's really strict!Do you know that the fine for first time offenders is SGD1000??That's a lot of money! Imagine how much baking ingredients we can buy with that amount of money ya?
Whew, that's a hefty amount!
this article was written 2009. it's now 2011 and you'll really be amazed at how many cake decorators home operator businesses are operating right now. I've experienced it first hand as Im working for Gourdo's - distributor of cake decorating materials. in mid 2009, there where less than 50 trusted cake operators operating at home, but now in 2011 there are about 250 cake decorating who are in multiply alone. one i've talked to; even had the whole days of december 2010 fully booked for 1 order per day for a customized cake. cake operators also now ventures into cupcakes, cookies and candies. this variety adds income opportunity for them thus making a living by just having a multiply account =)
That's true Chef. When I started selling at Multiply back in 2007-2008 there were really a handful of homebakers and I would look back laughing why people bought from me at that time when my decorating really sucked LOL!
Hi! =)
i accidentally came across to your site while i was searching for the ratio of ovasil + water to make my gumpaste =).. and i'm glad to have clicked on to your site! it's so nice and informative! =)
i totally agree! =) WE, Home bakers are the best! =p Rock-on! LOL!
More power to ur blogsite =)
PS: may i post this article to my FB account? im sure my friends would love this!!! =) Thanks again and more power!
Post a Comment