Biko (Sweet Rice Cake)

>> Tuesday, July 14, 2009

A few days after we had moved to our new flat, I chanced upon a stall selling local sweet delights and one thing caught my attention. They have BIKO!

(I forgot the name of the stall selling this.. it's $0.60 (or P18.00) per slice)

BIKO is a visayan term (I'm not sure if it's also called biko in Tagalog) for a sweet glutinous rice cake cooked in coconut milk and sugar. There are different versions of this Filipino merienda.

I have never tried cooking biko nor any glutinous rice recipe because for one, I was not very fond of cooking so I don't have the slightest idea on how exactly this is cooked. I have to ask my aunt for the recipe and the procedure because I am planning to make one in the near future.

You see, I like my 'biko' sweeter. I also like to eat biko right after it's mixed with the 'latik' and still very hot and soft.

Here's the recipe I just got, courtesy of Auntie Memie:

Note: This recipe doesn't follow an exact measurement, all just estimates. You can adjust the amount of coconut milk and sugar according to your taste and preference.

Also, note that biko is cooked in different versions. See these two blogs for two different versions:

http://desarapen.blogspot.com/2005/04/biko-macapuno.html

http://www.pinoyrecipe.net/filipino-biko-recipe-rice-cake-with-caramel-toppings/

The version presented below is our family version. This is how my Lola and eventually my family prepares it. It's a very simple recipe as you can see it.


INGREDIENTS:

  • 1/2 kilo (500 grams) glutinous rice (malagkit, pilit, sweet rice, sticky rice)
  • 1/4 kilo (250 grams) brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups fresh coconut milk
  • 1/4 stick butter or margarine (optional)

Procedure: (as I understand from my aunt's instructions)

1. Cook the glutinous rice as you would cook white rice. Make sure you don't put to much water so as not to make it too soft.

2. Halfway through the cooking, you can start preparing the "latik".
Don't be confused, 'latik' in Visayan is different from the tagalog latik. (Read more here about the difference).

3. To prepare the "latik", mix the coconut milk, butter and sugar and boil in high heat. After it starts boiling, lower the heat to medium low and stir occassionally until it starts to caramelize and sauce starts to thicken.
How do you know when it's the right consistency already? The same question I asked my aunt.
4. To test the right consistency, drop a little "latik" into a bowl of water. When the "latik" hardens in the water, that's it. You can mix the cooked rice to the latik already.

Oopps, don't forget to turn off the heat.

5. Transfer the 'biko' into a rectangular pan and press flat with the back of spoon. Cool and serve.

Let me reiterate, I like to eat mine straight from the "kawa" (wok). Children, don't do this without adult supervision. You know what will happen.

-------oOo------

Now, with all these being put together, I gotta make my grocery list for tonight and make sure I won't forget the sticky rice and brown sugar. I have to use boxed coconut milk also. Will let you know the outcome.

4 comments:

Anonymous,  August 5, 2009 at 6:52 AM  

hi kate! Ping here. i have so much fun looking through your site, I love Biko it's my favourite snack as well back home!
i'll post my finished product of your latik recipe as soon as i sort out my grocery list! =)

take care and nice to see you here!

Ping

Kate August 5, 2009 at 9:10 AM  

Hi Ping, thanks, sige update mo ko if you have posted your latik, sarap talaga ng biko no? hehehe.

Anonymous,  November 13, 2009 at 6:39 PM  

hi Sally here,yes!i love biko and one of my favorite too.everytime I invited for filipinos party here'n uk I always brougth a biko and they ALWAYS asking me how to do it,aslong as you can get the rigth cooking for the glutinous rice well expect you have alovely biko.god bless and keep on posting some filipinos recipe.MABUHAY!

Kate November 15, 2009 at 6:07 AM  

Hi Sally, thanks. Made this recipe just once and seemed like I hit the nail hehehe. Basta may biko masaya na ang pinoy hahaha.

Post a Comment

link within

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP