Ginisang Monggo

>> Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Sorry to frustrate you ahead, I am not posting here a recipe of Ginisang Monggo. If you are a Filipino, you probably have had cooked or eaten this at least once in your lifetime, otherwise, you are not yet an authentic Pinoy hahaha! Kidding aside, to me ginisang monggo is a comfort food that when two of my aunts were talking about this food in their friendster comments, I couldn't help but rush to the kitchen and start boiling a handful.

I just want to let my aunts know that I indeed cook the monggo that I promised I would hahaha.
We don't follow a specific recipe when we cook monggo. Instead, we just used whatever is available in our kitchen. If using meat, we just boil the monggo together with the meat until both are tender. Then just saute onion and garlic and once the onion has caramelized, mix the monggo in it and season with salt. We seldom use tomato in our monggo to avoid it from spoiling too early.

We also add siling mahaba or green chili, spring onion and lemon grass (tanglad) to add flavor and aroma to our monggo.

green chili

Ginisang Monggo is a very versatile food as you can use anything you want to add to it. It could be your favorite pork belly or ham, shrimps, dried fish or fried fish. You can also add any vegetable to it but among my favorites are squash, dahon ng sili or malunggay. You can also add coconut milk to make it Ginataang Monggo.

This is why this dish is truly a comfort food. You can customize it depending on your cravings and mood hehehe!

2 comments:

Anonymous,  August 10, 2009 at 3:09 AM  

Hi Kate! I love ginisang monggo with ampalaya or malunggay leaves. Also, chicharon makes great "sahog" :)

Kate August 20, 2009 at 10:10 AM  

I love chicharon eaten with monggo sawsaw sa suka hehehehe kakagutom.

Post a Comment

link within

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP