Royal Icing Using Meringue Powder
>> Monday, July 20, 2009
I forgot to mention in my post about runout icing that I wasn't using that Wilton recipe I posted. When I started baking, I could hardly find Wilton products in groceries or department stores. Even famous baking suppliers in Metro Manila like Chocolate Lovers hardly carry Wilton products.
I used Royal Icing for works requiring flooding and outlining.
The recipe below uses eggwhite or meringue powder as substitute for eggwhites. You can find meringue powder in baking suppliers. If you're in the Philippines, you can use Ovasil which Chocolate Lovers carry. I don't suggest using eggwhites in your recipe especially if it's meant to be eaten. Better safe than be sorry if you cause salmonella poisoning to your guests or customers.
Here's the recipe:
INGREDIENTS
Note: I used a Kitchenaid heavy duty mixer with the whisk attachment when doing this icing but can use handheld mixer.
Instructions:
1. In the mixer bow, add the FIRST THREE ingredients in the order given and beat until meringue powder is thoroughly dissolved or until it will begin to froth like eggwhites.
2. With the mixer on low, slowly add the powdered sugar. Don't add everything if you think it's already thick enough.
3. Beat until the icing thickens and it loses shine and stand in peaks.
Kate's personal note:
1. I usually make mine just thick enough for outlining. That way, I just have to thin it with a little water when I flood the pattern.
2. I store unused icing in an airtight container at room temperature. I once tried storing in the fridge but it crusted.
3. When working with royal icing, cover the unused portion with wet hand towel to avoid drying the mixture. However, one problem I encountered in using this methodl is the icing getting too thin as it absorbs the moisture from the towel. What I usually do is put my working mixture in an airtight container such as 'lock and lock". That way I can just easily cover it while I work.
Royal icing can be used to decorate cookies 
and make flower decorations (which I never perfected)


10 comments:
hi kate! fan of your blog na! =D thanks for sharing your recipes! -
Hello Kate =)
I really love your blog and like your cake decorating, very creative...
I bought a cupcake book and I really want to learn it... really... I'm a beginner... Your recipe, I find it easy to do and so very helpful with your directions and tip notes.
But I have a one question... your pastillage recipe, what does it mean "grease the bowl, paddle/beater." in 1st step? does it mean grease it using shortening, vegetable oil or butter? (sorry to ask, just to clarify)
If possible, (request lng) if you could have a video on your blog for demo... Please =)
Thanks.
Thanks dear, I use shortening to grease the equipment. I've been thinking of putting up some tutorial videos but plans can't seem to materialize hehehe.
is there a meringue powder here in the philippines?
yes there is. Wilton has it, some baking supplier have it. Chocolate Lovers carries Ovasil. In other suppliers ask for eggwhite powder coz sometimes they don't understand what meringue powder is hehehe.
Kate,
Thanks dear, for sharing your recipes to us. love it gurl!!!
You're welcome. Happy New Year!
ooh kate you're a heaven sent! been looking for a simple and easy to follow recipes for cakes and icing and boom i was led here and im very thankful.. hope you'll post more recipes and hope u could suggest some cheap recipes or alternatives for other ingredients and where we could get it here in manila..
Hi Ms. Kate! I've been following your blog for quite some time now! :) I just have a quick question regarding royal icing.. when I used meringue powder kasi, the icing tasted like rubber and also smelled like rubber :0 was I using too much or is it really suppose to taste like that?? :(
I didn't experience such. Is the meringue new?
Post a Comment