S'mores
>> Monday, August 31, 2009
>S'mores is made by sandwiching grilled marshmallows and chocolate bars in graham crackers. The name is a contraction of "some more" and S'mores is a popular campfire treat in the US and Canada which is why I never heard of this goody until my Josh, now 10, was two years old. I first heard it in his Barney video "you take a grah'm cracker and you break it in two....". I wasn't really into campfires (not because I don't like it but because I wasn't given an opportunity hehe) and if I was, we would have hotdogs instead.
When I saw this recipe at Joyofbaking (can you see, I'm such a fan of their site), I knew I had to try it. I got frustrated though because I couldn't find graham crackers in their groceries here. Since I already got some marshmallows and chocolate chips in my hand, I have to find an alternative and thought butter crackers could do the job.
Their butter crackers tasted more like soda crackers but I thought again it would be perfect as the marshmallow and chocolate are already very sweet, this could balance the overall taste.
Ingredients:
1/2 stick butter, melted
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1 cup chocolate chips or chunks
2 cups miniature marshmallows
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C) and place the rack in the center of the oven. Line the bottom and sides of an 8 x 8 inch (23 x 23 cm) square baking pan with aluminum foil.
Stir together the graham cracker crumbs and the sugar. Add the melted butter and stir until all the crumbs are moistened. Press this mixture firmly onto the bottom of the prepared pan and bake in preheated oven about 10 minutes, or just until the crust begins to turn golden brown.
Remove from oven and evenly sprinkle with the chocolate chips and marshmallows.
Return to oven and bake for another 10 minutes, or until the marshmallows are soft, lightly golden, and starting to meld together.
Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool completely. Once cooled, lift the squares from the pan by holding the edges of the foil. With a long sharp knife, cut into squares. Can be stored at room temperature for several days.
My notes:
1. Twenty pieces of the butter crackers made about a cup and half of crumbs. Probably just 15 if using graham crackers as the butter crackers I used were smaller.
2. To make your own crumbs, crush the crackers with your hands then put in a plastic bag or ziplock bag. Run a rolling pin over the plastic to crush the crackers. You can also use a food processor or blender to make the crumbs.
Here's what I made:
The problem (which was not a problem at all as we still loved it) was the crumbs were crumbling to pieces so we have to eat this upside down to cut down the mess. Perhaps more butter would resolve the problem.
The second batch I put some Andes mint + marshmallows + chocolate chips.
Still the crumbs was a problem.
Then two days after I made all the above, we went to Value$ Store to buy some Granny Goose Tortillas and instead found this:
As if we couldn't get some more, we made some more (see, that's why it's S'mores) again... this time the traditional way (kuno) minus the grilled marshmallow. I just heat it up in the oven toaster until the marshmallow melted.
See that little hand? It's patiently waiting til mommy is done taking pictures.
5 comments:
i heard about s'mores too as i was watching Barney videos with my nieces and nephews..
regarding your crust problem..you need to add more butter and press them well to the pan.=)
yes thanks, will try it again soon as I have graham crackers already yey.
naay kamot nga di jud maka huwat! lami jud pilpilon! hahahaha! hhaaaay kadaghan nako ug i bake ani oi! perfect for the holidays no-on!
I tried it using a dark chocolate, and weeeh,I cant stop devouring it! haha
Hi Xy-Za, I seldom make S'mores coz I can't stop eating them too hahaha.
Post a Comment