Buizel, Pokemon Cake
>> Wednesday, June 30, 2010
This was an old project. When my son was at the same age as Hallel, the recipient of the cake below, he was madly fond of Pocket Monsters (Pokemon) too. When I asked him to identify the figure I was making, without thinking, said it's Buizel, a water Pokemon. Joji (my aunt's classmate and mom's officemate) specifically wanted Buizel in folded hands for the cake. That was what Hallel requested, so be it!
Making it was a breeze. Tinted portions of marshmallow fondant (this time I used plain marshmallow fondant, not gumpaste-fondant mixture) for the colors I needed. Rolled the body into oval shape and allowed it to dry lying down, else the weight of the fondant will accumulate at the bottom. Shaped the head,put on a thin strip of yellow fondant on the body and on the chin separately, then the folded hands and finally the facial details. Voila, I was done that fast. Just before delivery my son said there was something missing, something important. The gills on the arms!!!
Anyway, the celebrant and the mom loved it. It was a simple cake for they wanted just a chocolate cake with the Pokemon character on top.

2 comments:
Hi. I've been lurking in your blog and I want to thank you for unselfishly sharing recipes and methods on baking and cake decorating.
I wanted to familiarize my self with decorating cakes with fondant first before the baking part. At least I can buy a cake and personalize it with my own design---mostly for family occasions only.
I have a question re: fondant 3d figures--you mentioned that in this figure's case, you used all fondant rather that the 50:50 fondant:gum paste mixture. Is there an advantage of either mix or where is all fondant indicated and when should fondant:gum paste be beneficial?
Thanks in advance!
For delicate figures i find fondant difficult to work with. In this case since the Buizel figure doesn't really have tiny details, fondant did a good job. For figures that requires needs to be dry before putting on cake I always use the 50-50 mix or 100 gumpaste. Fondant nearly dries at all and is subject to humidity.
Post a Comment