Palitaw
>> Wednesday, June 30, 2010
I would presume that the word Palitaw is derived from the Tagalog word "litaw" which means to show up. This is exactly what happens when you cook one. I love this pinoy merienda. To me it is a local rendition of the Chinese Tikoy. While tikoy is cooked by steaming (I'm guessing here), Palitaw is cooked by dropping glutinous rice balls (rather discs) in water and these discs float or make "litaw" when it is done. Palitaw is very easy to make especially that nowadays one can easily buy powdered malagkit or glutinous rice flour in the grocery. The recipe is simple.
You need:
- glutinous rice flour
- water
- grated coconut - no exact amount
- some sugar mixed with roasted sesame seeds
But wait. The procedure should actually start with boiling a half-full pot of water. Then as soon as it is boiling, get a spoonful of the sticky mixture, shape into a ball, flatten to a disc and start dropping them in the boiling water one by one. Do not overcrowd them. (And oh, I put a little vegetable oil on my palm as the dough tends to stick to my hands). As soon as the disc floats, scoop them out and drain them. Roll the finished Palitaw in your grated coconut then on the sugar-sesame mixture. Yuuuuum. Enjoy your palitaw.
This one has no grated coconut.

3 comments:
I remember eating this kind of miryenda when I was a little girl. Mom always bring me along to the marketplace every day after school to help her buy our recipe for dinner. In return, she always get me those palitaw for miryenda. I think you're the only one here in the cyber world who thought of sharing this yummy pinoy food. If you wont mind I'd love to guide Foodista readers to your post. Just add the foodista widget to the end of this post so it will appear in the Foodista pages and it's all set, Thanks!
Hi Christine, thanks for sharing your experience with Palitaw and for dropping by my site. I used to have the Foodista widget before but it (along with a lot of other widgets) was gone after I changed my layout. Anyway, thanks for the link, will try to add it again.
Hi Kate, No Problem. I hope to see you there in Foodista. Pm me sometimes. Have a nice day!
Post a Comment