Mango Bars
>> Monday, February 1, 2010
We have the best variety of mango and we make the best dried mangoes, perfect for making mango bars. This recipe can only be made using dried mangoes (well, for now I do not intend to experiment using fresh ones). When buying dried mangoes, don't choose the ones in candy or bar form, nor use dried mango chips.
This recipe comes from the Dorothy's Cookbook and is just one of the hundreds of recipes from the book I am putting to test. It especially noted that this bar would taste better a day after and yes, there is a great difference in taste because I ate a few slices right after it cooled down and a few a day after. Well, I have a reason to do so, how will I know it right?
1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup butter
Filling:
100 grams dried mango, chopped coarsely
1 cup well packed brown sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 XL eggs
1/2 cup coarsely chopped cashew nuts (or any other nut)
1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
DIRECTIONS:
1. Place the dried mangoes in a small saucepan and put water enough to cover it. Cook over low heat for about 15 minutes until very soft. Drain.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line the bottom of a 9x9x1.5" pan with waxed paper (or foil works fine). Set aside.
3. Prepare the crust by combining flour and sugar in a bowl. Cut the butter in small 1/2 inch cubes and add to the flour mixture. The butter must be cold for easy handling. With your fingers combine the ingredients. Chill briefly if it threatens to melt.
4. Transfer the crust into a baking pan and using your fingers press the crust into the bottom of the pan., covering it completely and as evenly as possible. The crust is just a bit thin. If you prefer a thicker crust, you may opt to use an 8x8 pan which I did.
5. Bake the crust for 10 minutes or until it begins to color.
6. To prepare the filling, pour all ingredients in a bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat the mixture at medium speed until blended.
7. Pour the filling over the baked crust and return the pan to the oven and continue to bake for another 20 minutes or until filling is set.
8. Allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Loosen the sides of the pan and carefully invert the pan to a wire rack to unmold it. Invert it once again, right side up and allow to cool completely.
9. Dust top surface with powdered sugar then cut into bars. Serve the next day to allow the flavors to develop.
I did not dust mine with sugar as I don't want it to get too sweet as it already is.

0 comments:
Post a Comment