Churros
>> Thursday, January 28, 2010
I was introduced to this Spanish doughnut a few years back. I think it was in Enchanted Kingdom that I got to taste it first. That was followed by just one instance this year at Market Market in Global City when a new Churro cart opened. I would say I wasn't impressed. They were bland and oily and the chocolate dip was as unimpressive as the churros. Oopps, this isn't a food review! Anyway, I was browsing my mom's recipe collection when I stumbled upon a Churros recipe which just calls for boiling water and flour.
CHURROS
Ingredients:
1 cup water
1/4 stick butter (1/4 cup)
2 tbps brown sugar
vanilla
2 eggs
1 to 1 1/4 cups flour
oil for frying
Procedures:
In a medium saucepan, boil water, sugar and butter.
Remove from fire and immediately add flour. Start with just one cup. Gradually add the remaining flour if you find it too soft. Mix well.Add eggs and vanilla and mix well.
Scope to a piping bag fitted with a big star tip.
Heat oil until very hot. For sure you know how to judge if it already is.
Pipe the batter into the oil directly. Take extra care, this is an excruciating part hehehe. You can cut the batter/dough with scissors if they don't naturally fall off from the decorating tip.
Fry until golden brown.
Roll on sugar or cinnamon sugar.
Serve with coffee or hot chocolate.
Note: The first time I made this I used only one cup of flour. I find it too soft that I had a hard time controlling the piping part. With 1 1/4 cups flour, the batter was firmer and easier to pipe. The only downside, it tore down one of my plastic piping bag. Nonetheless, the taste is the same.
You can also dip churros in melted chocolate or dipping chocolate.

0 comments:
Post a Comment