That Marshmallow made me Hypertensive
>> Sunday, April 6, 2008
150/90. Yes you read it right, marshmallow raised my blood pressure. No, I don't mean eating marshmallow made me hypertensive.
April 05 was a hectic day for me. Weekends are my Mondays. I was out the whole morning setting up for Andrei's baptismal. I dropped by my supplier to get some boxes. On my way home at around 10AM, my cousin texted me that the marshmallow fondant I asked her to do wasn't as good as the one she made before.
Indeed, when I got home and checked it, it was a disaster. I thought she might have messed up with the ratio of marshmallow, water and sugar but she got it all right when I checked with her. Then she told me that the marshmallow she used was the last pack left which she said kinda looked different from what she used the day before and which tasted different too. I remember, it was the marshmallow I bought from SweetCraft. I don't usually buy my marshmallow from them. Either I get it from Chocolate Lovers or Divisoria or Quiapo but that time I was buying several items from them and thought would try their marshmallow. It's a lot cheaper at 115 for 1 kilo versus 115 for 850 grams at Chocolate Lovers.
The fondant was really a mess. It was crumbling to pieces everytime I try to knead it. I was already in panic. I got no marshmallows left because my cousin tried to make two recipes out of it hoping she'll get it right the second time. But both mixture were a total disaster. I couldn't think of any other ingredient that would make it fail. It couldn't be water nor confectioner sugar. I called SweetCraft, trying to complain about the quality of the marshmallow they have but we only indeed up half arguing as they insisted that their marshmallow is of good quality and pride that it is from MARKENBURG, the same brand that sells in supermarket DAW. They insisted that it must be my recipe. I told them I've been making the same recipe over and over and only failed this time that I used their marshmallow. They still insist that they haven't heard of anyone used marshmallow for fondant yet... so to avoid further argument, as I was already I told them I'd never buy from them again and hung up. I was angry. I might be just one customer but heck, I could spread the word, I thought.
I asked my cousin to rush to Cubao to get some marshmallows. The cake has to be delivered at 4PM and it was already almost 12 noon, just imagine my desperation. While my cousin was away, I tried to remedy the fondant by adding some water and heating it in the microwave. It looked good at first. It became pliable and soft but as soon as it cooled down, it crumbled into pieces again. I was already fuming in anger took my bp which read 150/90. I couldn't let this pass by. I phoned SweetCraft again to get the exact name of their marshmallow supplier. If they wouldn't listen to my complain I'd rather blog about it, just to vent out my feelings. Just then, I was surprised to be greeted with apologies and was told that they called Markenburg to air out my complain. To make the long story short, I gave SweetCraft my fondant recipe as they would want to test the recipe themselves using their marshmallow and those from the other supplier which they said carry the brand Mayfair.
I have kept the fondant I made, I will be bringing this to SweetCraft and the other one we made using Mayfair marshmallow. See the picture below. After kneading for about 1 minute, compare the two icing.
I did a research and it appears that Markenburg marshmallow is a local product. I have nothing against a local product I want to advocate it as much as possible but if it could spell disaster and make me hypertensive, I'd rather not patronize it. Perhaps their marshmallow has a different ratio of ingredients than what others are made of.
I was just thankful that SweetCraft after making me storming in anger the first time apologized, otherwise, I would never ever buy from them again.
The next ime I buy marshmallow, I will make sure it will not be the ones from Markenburg. It might kill me the second time around.
4 comments:
I've actually used Markenburg's marshmallow many many times for my MMF and it always turns out great. I got my recipe from What's Cooking America. I've also used Mello's marshmallow and got the same result. Your cousin might have messed up with the ratio or done something wrong. And finally, you should try using your Kitchen Aid for this task. I stopped doing all the messy kneading ever since I learned that it is safe to use the stand mixer as long as you do not go past speed number 2. There are more tips about this on the internet. Have a great day!
Hi, yes I agree with you that my cousin had messed up with the MMF. Here's my post about it.
http://mybakingmomma.blogspot.com/2008/07/battle-of-marshmallows-mmf-experiment_03.html
Since the day I got my KA, it's been doing 90% of the kneading. My hands couldn't take all the job especially that I have CTS. It's really a great help though the final kneading is still needed. Thanks so much for the great input, still a lot to learn.
Markenburg is actually an international brand. I love it for smores.
Actually, there are see two kinds of Markenburg marshmallows on the shelf. One is manufactured here and another is imported. You can see the difference in the packaging. I wonder which one ruined your fondant, the local ones or the imported ones.
:) This post was written at the peak of my anger. I have used Markenburg very recently, those beautifully packed local white mallows from a grocery shelf and it turned out very okay. I think the culprit then was an old marshmallow on the supplier's shelf.
Post a Comment