Carboxy Methyl Cellulose (CMC) or Tylose

>> Monday, March 12, 2012

I am writing this post because some of you might have encountered the same problem I had with CMC.

Back in 2008 or so, I bought my first kilogram of cellulose gum or CMC. CMC is a thickener used in lieu of Tylose in this gumpaste recipe. I am not sure who originated that recipe but it looks like many refer to it as Nicholas Lodge gumpaste. The Tylose or CMC called for in that recipe is 12 teaspoons or 4 tablespoons.  I have used the same proportion until the last drop of my first CMC pack. Just late last year, I bought a new pack at the same store I got my first one, Hi-Q Commercial in Recto. The only difference I was told was it's made in China because they ran out of the one made in Holland.

My first gumpaste batch from the new CMC was a failure. It was too gummy to work on. Aside from that it was too grainy. I made another one and ended up throwing everything. Same result. I got really frustrated so I called a chemical company in Quezon City, Alyson Chemical Enterprises and ordered another kilogram from them, supposedly made in Finland. The result of the gumpaste is the same, gummy, grainy. I was about to throw the towel.

For some time, I stick on with fondant in my figures and it's a nightmare for me as I really love my 50-50 paste, half MMF, half gumpaste.

After about a month, I did some test. I made 1/4 of the recipe and just added half of the CMC amount. The texture has improved but it was still hard to work on and grainy. I did another test and only added 1/4 of the CMC amount. The result? Just PERFECT!

It turned out it was not only me who had the same problem. My baking friends told me they've given up on it. I don't know what happens to the new CMC batches they are making. One thing I'm sure, the new one is a saver. So to those of you who are using this same recipe and having the same problem with generic CMC, try using a quarter of the gum and see if it works for you, too.

Happy Caking!

♥ Kate

0 comments:

Post a Comment

link within

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP