Boiled Icing
>> Monday, March 12, 2012
Edited: August 14, 2013
------------------------------
Boiled Icing is a meringue frosting. The process of making it is similar to the Italian Meringue Buttercream (IMBC) except that the proportion of egg to sugar is not the same. To my customers I don't use the term "boiled icing" because I don't want to explain to people why it is called such. If I want it to appeal to kids, I just say marshmallow icing and tell them it tastes like melted marshmallow which is true, would you agree? If I want to confuse people, the silly me, I tell them it's Italian Meringue and notice how their jaws drop..."Italian, what???" and that makes it sounds classy hahaha! More often than not I just tell them, "you know, that soft, fluffy icing that kids really like" and that ends the confusion.
Boiled icing is a very stable icing when done the right way. It can stand high humidity. You can pipe it, make it super smooth, make it stand in peaks. This is why I super love, love, love boiled icing than any other kind plus the fact that clean up is easier than butter based icing. I find the Italian Meringue recipe I previously posted too airy and light which is why I always go for this recipe.
Do not get intimated doing this recipe, it may look scary at first but if you follow the procedure carefully, you will get it right. If not, there is always the next time. It doesn't take long before you can perfect this. I suggest you read the instructions carefully and try to imagine each step before taking the dive.
Ingredients:
4 eggwhites
2 cups white sugar (or 1/2 cup for every eggwhite)
1/2 cup water (or 1/8 cup for every egg)
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
Directions and Notes:
1. Egg whites are easiest to separate and you cut the risk of breaking the yolks when the eggs are cold. I separate them after I take them out from the fridge then let the egg whites allow to come to room temperature, about 20 minutes. The yolks, I drop them in a glass of cold water and keep them in the fridge covered until I need them.
2. Make sure your bowl for the egg whites is super clean, no trace of grease.
3. In a small saucepan, preferably the thick stainless type, combine sugar and water.
4. Bring to a boil over low heat gradually increasing to medium heat as soon as it starts boiling.
5. I use a
How do we know that it reaches the correct temperature already?
After getting frustrated with the hit and miss result using thermometer I go back to the dependable, old school, thread test. If you become expert in it, just by looking at the syrup, you will know that it is almost there. Syrup at this stage looks sticky. When it starts to look sticky, I start testing and doing it every 3 minutes using a clean spoon every time. Dip the tip of the spoon in your syrup and lift it. A thin thread will form once your syrup temperature reaches 230-240. If your syrup is undercooked, icing will get runny in a few hours after frosting the cake. If syrup is overcooked, icing could get grainy but will be stable. Overcooked syrup mostly happens when you do Facebook while waiting for the sugar to cook.
6. Okay, this is how I do it. When I start beating the eggwhites and get to the soft peak stage, I decrease the mixing speed to medium and increase the heat of the stove to medium-high so that it reaches 240 degrees fast. As soon as it reaches 240, I increase the mixer speed to high and take out the sugar from the fire and slowly pour it to the side of the bowl, aim for the spot between the beater and the bowl. Don't worry, it isn't difficult to do, I promise. Continue beating at high speed until meringue is stiff. To test if you're at the right consistency, stop the mixer, run a metal spatula across the icing and it if forms a stiff wall on each side, that is it!
Here are important notes:
If using a hand mixer, I suggest, strongly suggest, you get an extra hand to hold the bowl or run the mixer for you when pouring the syrup, unless you are using a hand mixer with a bowl fitted to a stand. Gosh, one time I tried to use a hand mixer all by myself, it was crazy. Imagine trying to keep the bowl steady, while your other hand is running the mixer and the other pouring the sugar. Risky, risky! I wouldn't dare do it again. Try it if you want an adrenalin rush.
Boiled icing should be used right away. Any extra icing should be discarded or you may put in the fridge for a day for personal consumption.
Now, good luck!
25 comments:
Is there a way to make this chocolate?
At one time I was almost tempted to try adding melted chocolate to the meringue but thinking that chocolate contains some fat, it could deflate the meringue. Instead, I added coffee and was successful. For the chocolate icing, you may try the Italian Meringue Chocolate Buttercream.
may i ask if this icing good for 2 layered 9" round cake?
yes this icing is more than enough
how kind you are...I like the way you are because u shared everything based on ur experiences and also u answered question so fast. How I wish i'll be always ur follower forever because ur words,explanation here on ur site are really easy to understand and very clear! God really bless u more.
Hi Kate,
Im having a trouble making boiled icing, its either the icing is not stiff and the last one i tried the egg was cooked so the icing became rough. is there anything i should do? im using a thermometer and applying the thread technique but it seems its up to 270 degrees when it reaches thread like. please advise on how to have a successful boiled icing. Thank you
hi, I been looking for a step by step procedure on making boiled icing and I guess I'll try your recipe. My previous attempts resulted to "bleeding" after a few hours. I hope to perfect my boiled icing with your tips. Thanks.
Hi Kate. I would like to inquire regarding boiled icing, i tried it but failed. The sugar reaches 270degree F before it becomes "threadlike", i poured the sugar after mixing, the icing was not smooth i think the eggwhites was cooked and it didnt reaches the stiff stage. what seems to be the problem? please i need your advice. Im dying to make a boiled icing. thank you
I stopped using the thermometer for sometime now and go with the thread test which i find more reliable. First of all, thermometers needs to be checked for accuracy. My two thermometers work differently. Quoting from an old recipe book I have:
" To check candy thermometer for accuracy, let stand 10 minutes in boiling water. Thermometer should read 212 degrees. If there is any variation, subtract or add to make the same degree of allowance in testing candy."
Note that testing for digital/instant thermometer is different.
Going back to the Boiled Icing problem. When the sugar is cooked beyond the thread stage it makes the icing dry and rough. When the sugar is undercooked, it makes the icing too soft and will bleed after a few hours on the cake. I will post another boiled icing recipe which I have used and will include some tips.
Thanks Kate, kindly include also the right time to beat the eggwhites (Iam only using hand mixer)
We are looking forward for another boiled icing recipe...
Thanks Thanks
Try using the new boiled icing I posted. With that, you can beat the eggwhites while waiting for your sugar to cook.
http://mybakingmomma.blogspot.com/2011/01/boiled-icing-2.html
Hi!
I'll be making a small wedding cake and a couple of cupcakes soon... i am really eyeing on making it with this kind of icing...I just want to ask...how many recipes of this do you think i should make so that i can Frost and Fill three, 5x1(top) round cakes(about 3-4 inches high combined. Three, 9x1(middle) round cakes(About 4inches high combined also), 12inch(bottom) round cake that is also about 3-4 inches high. And about 40 cupcakes as well.
Thanks and hope i can hear from you soon!
More power! :)
You may need 4-5 batches of this recipe for it. About 3 for all your cakes and 1 for your cupcakes. I usually make only 1 recipe at at time since that is only what my KitchenAid can accommodate. If using one same color for the cakes, just color it after making the 3 batches to make the color the same.
THanks Kate! Ur a great help!
keep up the good work!
More power and godbless!
-Anonymous January 19
hi ms kate!
may i ask how you prevent the boiled icing from crusting?
thanks!
monette
Monette, are you referring to the icing that is yet to be applied on the cake? If so, just beat it with a spatula before using.
hi kate! Can i place miniature marshmallow using this recipe so it will taste like marshmallows? :) Like marshmallow frosting? tnx
Hello....I hope you can help me with my problem with boiled icing. My problem is that my cakes with boiled icing sometimes fall or melt especially when the cake is transported for some hours. What can I do?
hello, i always use boiled icing in my cupcakes but i dont know how to stack a cake with boiled icing..it always turns out to be a mess... do you know how? please help me..thanks a lot..
april
from iloilo city
hi kate, i use corn syrup instead of cream of tartar. i have made boiled icings like 4 times but it gets rough after some time from applying it to the cake/cupcake. my recipe is 2 large egg whites, 1 tbsp corn syrup, pinch of salt and 1/3 cup of water. i stir them before i bring it to the stove and remove them as soon as it forms a long thread. hoping to get your answer the soonest. can i have your email address for further questions? :)
Hi Kate! Good day to you. Thank you for this recipe. I would just like to know how to store the icing and if it can be stored, up to how many hours or days?
I hope you can help me. Thank you very much
I've re-published this post with new notes including storing it.
Hi Ms. Kate! I will be trying this recipe today. I just want to know that when you say sugar, is it the regular sugar or confectioners sugar? Also, will boiled icing not easily melt despite our very hot weather?
Thank you very much.
Sorry for the late reply. When a recipe says sugar, it is always the regular, white sugar granules. As long as they are not exposed directly to sunlight, there should be no problem. It is a very stable icing.
Post a Comment