Boiled Icing 2

>> Thursday, January 13, 2011

For quite sometime now, I have been using this Boiled Icing which is the meringue base for the Italian Meringue Buttercream (IMBC) recipe from Joe Pastry's site. The meringue recipe is very similar to the boiled recipe I had posted before except for the amount of sugar that is cooked. In my old boiled icing recipe, all the sugar is cooked while the one below, only a cup is boiled. The sugar in this one is also 3/4 a cup lesser making it less sweet than the previous one. Just read through my notes.


BOILED ICING 2

Ingredients:

5 eggwhites
1 1/2 1/4 cups white sugar
1/4 cup water
1/4 tsp cream of tartar

I started to adapt this recipe after my first successful IMBC using their recipe. I had observed that the boiled icing here is more stable and the sugar is cooked faster.

Start off by mixing 1 cup sugar with 1/4 cup water in a small saucepan. Do not stir and make sure there are no specks of sugar on the side of the pan above the water level. Wash them down with drops of water. No need to use pastry brush to do this task. A spoon will do.

Speaking from experience makes me believe that the kind of saucepan you use affects the way the sugar cooks. I have three small stainless saucepans. Two of these are thick-bottomed ones of really good quality while the third one, though not cheap, is a little thinner than the two. Boiling sugar on the last pan always gives me burnt sugar. I won't even make choco fudge icing on this one because it gives me the same result, burnt chocolate. So, I think the kind of saucepan you use has a big role in making a successful boiled icing.

Set the sugar on low heat. Use the smaller burner on your stovetop as much as possible. I don't start heating my sugar on medium -high as opposed to the instruction from Joe Pastry. I did it once on medium heat and it left some crystals on the bottom of my pan.

While waiting for the sugar to boil, start beating your eggwhites with 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar. As soon as it gets to softpeak stage (no more big bubbles or you may refer to the photos at Joe Pastry's site), start adding your 1/4 cup sugar gradually and beat it until stiff but not dry. Once you get to that stage, you can left it at that while you wait for the sugar to cook .

I suggest that you set aside anything you wish to do (like checking FB) while waiting for the syrup to reach the softball stage and just focus your attention to it, admiring the entire process :). When the necessary temperature is almost reached you will visibly notice that the sugar turns a little sticky. Start your thread test.

Okay, before discussing this thread test, let me tell you why I don't use my candy thermometers anymore. My digital/instant read thermometer had ran out of battery and I am too lazy to replace it. It was the more accurate thermometer but if you happen to own one, please note that you need to calibrate it. It is the same with the regular candy thermometer. I will put a note at the last part of this post on how to check for accuracy in your thermometers. Okay, main reason why I don't use them is because with the thread test I cannot go wrong. Simply said, I don't trust my thermometers.

I had attempted before to take pictures of this "thread test" but my camera just couldn't focus on the tiny strand of thread. I checked Google and there is non either :D. So for now just use your imagination.

To do the thread test, dip the end of a spoon into your sugar and lift it above the pan and let the syrup drip. If the soft ball stage is nearly reached you should notice a thread starts to hang from spoon. The higher the temperature gets, the longer the thread is, the more cooked your sugar is. What we are looking for is a thread about 4-6" long. If you see that, turn off the heat, start your mixer again and start pouring the sugar in thin streams to the eggwhite. You may want to do it the Joe Pastry way. Add a little, mix a little, add a little, mix a little. This will avoid splattering the sugar on your mixing bowl. Once all the sugar is added, run your mixer on high and keep beating until the meringue is stiff. I do it for 5-8 minutes on my Kitchenaid mixer and maybe 10 minutes in the hand mixer. I found that with this recipe, there is no risk of over beating it.

My college friend who used to bake told me that her mom puts "kalamansi" (small green lime) juice in her icing and when I asked her what it does, though she, herself, was not sure of her answer, said it could be for keeping the icing from crusting. My mom said she used to do it too but could not give me a scientific explanation. Duh!

That's it, your boiled icing is ready to use. For more questions on this type of icing, feel free to leave a comment here. I'd appreciate if you include your first names so I can address you properly rather than having to call you Ms. Anonymous.

And oh! Yeah, the thermometer. I read it from an old recipe book from my Mom and I quote:

"To check candy thermometer for accuracy, let stand 10 minutes in boiling water. Thermometer should read 212 degrees. If there is any variation, subtract or add to make the same degree of allowance in testing candy."

Now please note that the boiling point of water varies depending on your location. The above test is for locations on sea level only. If you happen to be neighbors with Spongebob, that would be a different story.

Let me leave you a photo of my attempt to pipe roses using this boiled icing recipe. They're not perfect (I suck in piping), they softened a bit,  but the roses did not melt.

I was piping still a quarter of the basketweave side and my hand already screamed, "STOP!"

24 comments:

Anonymous,  January 13, 2011 at 11:48 AM  

Hi Kate,
First of all, let me tell you that your cake looks so pretty!

From your experience, about how many cups of buttercream does one recipe make?

Did you add some sugar to make it sweeter or did you follow the recipe as written?

Do we have to refrigerate the cake when using this frosting? Can the frosting be made ahead, say, 1 day ahead, if you, how do we store it?

Sorry, I don't know how to put my name, anyway, I'm Ela.

Thanks a lot. Mabuhay ka!

Kate January 15, 2011 at 12:22 AM  

Hi Ela,

Thanks for dropping by. For the IMBC using this recipe, my apologies but I don't have an exact figure but it looks like around 4 cups. I follow the recipe to a T.

If you are using just the boiled icing (minus the buttercream), it should be used right away. This icing cannot be stored kasi papangit ang texture.

Anonymous,  January 15, 2011 at 11:17 PM  

hello,mrs. kate. I just read your new info re: this. I was amazed at how u explained it so clearly that I can fully understand what u are trying to explain. You have a great info. I appreciated it so much. You are such a generous person! God bless u a thousand folds!

fOr the past weeks,specially last xmas time, i hav kept on visiting ur site for a new update,but none,so until now,i am so happy again to hear from u gaining such a new knowledge about baking.

As i keep on reading this page, while scrolling down, i saw a very fascinating photo, parang lumaki po ung mata ko. napakaganda po ang iyong cake decoration,mrs. Kate!! WOW na WOW talaga!!You are such a genius baker and cake decorator!!I really admire ur cake decoration.
anyway,i am also one of the anonymous who hav asked u some few question last year..im sorry talaga kc kala ko its not important to tell name..Good luck po sa baking mo.i'm sharee, CAR region..Thank u thank u po!

Kate January 18, 2011 at 7:35 AM  

Hi Sharee, thanks so much for following my blog and thanks for your appreciation of my work. I am trying to keep my blog alive. This is my journal. I want something to look back to when I am old and cannot bake anymore hahaha.

Anonymous,  January 18, 2011 at 10:12 AM  

Thank you miss kate for the wonderful recipe. I'll try this one and tell you the results. Dins

Anonymous,  January 18, 2011 at 12:49 PM  

Hi Ms. Kate! I'm just wondering where's the other 1/4 cup of sugar goes? I'm sorry if I didn't get it. You said "Start off by mixing 1 cup sugar with 1/4 cup water in a small saucepan". Then on your next instruction "start adding your 1/4 cup sugar gradually and beat it until stiff but not dry". It seems that only 1 1/4 c. of sugar have been used. I only want to make sure that I follow your instructions properly. I really appreciate your tips. Thanks so much for posting your recipes, youre such a great help to every mom who loves to bake... like me. :) Isah.

Kate January 19, 2011 at 9:49 AM  

Hi Isah, thanks for noticing. I've corrected the recipe already. It should just be 1 1/4 cups sugar. 1 cup for the syrup and 1/4 cup for the meringue.

Isah January 19, 2011 at 1:48 PM  

thanks Ms. Kate! now everything is clear to me! :)

Anonymous,  January 20, 2011 at 11:32 AM  

Dear, what type of icing did u used for writing that words on a fondant?they are really nice and wanted to know if how did u made it? it look like a piping gel.I was hard up in making one and what i was using is the local gelatin,does it work for other thing like classic rolled fondant?i saw a knox gelatin in one of the supermarkt and it is so expensive..how I wish,magpa2turo sana ako sa inyo about making toppers using fondant..:-) the only problem is my lack of tools. mahirap d2 sa baguio humanap ng tools at kailangan sa maynila..shar

Kate January 20, 2011 at 9:35 PM  

I used edible pens to write on my fondant Shar. Alternately, I use a very small paint brush and gel color to write if I ran out of edible pens. Sa tools, you can use those you can find in your house. Kahit fingers nga lang pwede na hehehe. Toothpick, scalpel, these are the two tools that are indispensable to me.

Anonymous,  January 24, 2011 at 9:36 AM  

Hi Ms Kate,
I successfully done this recipe..Thanks so much..
Dins

Jinky,  January 24, 2011 at 1:29 PM  

Hi Ms. Kate,
Tried this boiled icing twice last week and i really love it. Much more stable than the 7 minute boiled icing I used to make, and much more easier. I tried making your incidental chocolate IMBC, to iced a chocolate chiffon cake. My first time, tho' I've really been wanting to do it since, but dont have the courage until yesterday.
Sadly, my IMBC didnt turned out ok, the texture was grainy and somewhat watery. Adding the melted chocolate salvaged it, but I reserved a little of it to pipe a border which didnt turn out well. I was dissapointed, and maybe you got some tips you can share with us.
My bowl was a bit warm (but not hot) when I added the cubed butter. I even put the bowl in a basin with ice water pero wala rin. Siguro sa climate dito sa Pilipinas, medyo mainit kasi kahapon.
With that experience, I still want to try again hoping that more practice I can get the right consistency. Btw, do I have to use the first class butter?
thanks Ms. Kate.

Jinky

Anonymous,  January 26, 2011 at 12:29 AM  

thanks,mrs. kate. ur so kind to share.u're soo friendly as well. "It is more blessed to give than to receive"Acts 20:35 is like the more u share/give to others, the more you have many rewards in life..GOD Bless u!!sharee

Anonymous,  January 27, 2011 at 6:15 AM  

Hi Ms. Kate, i encountered some problem with boiled icing. Please help. The icing was watery after a couple of hours, i don't know what went wrong. My other problem is when i use gel color the icing is no longer smooth and it produces bubbles. Please help. Thanks in advance.

Anonymous,  January 28, 2011 at 1:18 PM  

Hi there Mrs. Kate, i just came across your website & it got me inspired to start baking again.
I've always used buttercream but now from your instructions I'm more confident to try it out. You have explained it very clearly (parang kaharap ko kayo while i was reading it).
May you continue to inspire more moms.
Have a nice day and God bless... Ellen

Anonymous,  January 31, 2011 at 7:07 AM  

Hi Kate,
how do you pipe the rose? from nail then transfer or directly to the cake. Thanks
dins

Kate February 8, 2011 at 12:12 AM  

Hi Dins, I find piping on a nail difficult so I piped it directly on the cake. I still need to learn the trade.

Anonymous,  February 18, 2011 at 12:56 PM  

I prefer your boiled icing recipe 1, I have used it with good results.

Recipe 2 might be more stable but the texture turns really bad after the icing is piped. It can actually be deceiving because you get flawless piping work, but the moment you cut the cake and start eating it, youll get crumbly and totally unappetizing icing ( tastes like cooked eggwhites).

Anonymous,  February 26, 2011 at 2:00 PM  

hi,gusto ko pong malaman kung itong boiled icing ba ay matamis?maraming salamat po.ann

Ella April 20, 2011 at 1:35 PM  

hi kate,
thanks for the boiled icing recipe and instructions.
I followed everything diligently and got good result for my meringue. Stiff and just perfect for crumb coating but after I put colors (gel) on it, it becomes runny and wont hold its shape.
Please help!

Eyya

Maye,  May 5, 2011 at 10:47 AM  

Hi Ms. Kate. Thank you for sharing this boiled icing recipe. I will try this . I've been trying to make boiled icing a number of times but didnt come up with good results. I want a stiffer one that can make beautiful borders yung hindi mag melt. Can I use this recipe to make borders? Tnx
Maye

Anonymous,  August 24, 2011 at 12:20 AM  

Hi Kate,

I work in a call center during night shift and view your page from time to time. I find it very educating and entertaining at the same time. Thanks for the posts. I will surely try this recipe when i have the time. The thread test instructions were good, i learned a lot. Keep it up, ketchup! ;)

Anne

jess,  August 27, 2011 at 5:42 PM  

the boil icing wil be melt if use for icing a cake then put at room temperature few days?isit stiff like the royal icing?

Anonymous,  October 18, 2011 at 5:50 PM  

HI..ganda naman ng design ng cake mo. I wanna learn how to bake, but my very first problem is, what kind of oven should I buy? CAn u help me with this one..thanks!
-Rio

Post a Comment

link within

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP