Men, Cake & Travel Equals Disaster
>> Tuesday, May 3, 2011
I know, I see some questioning eyes and raised eyebrows. Been wondering where I've been? I am not ashamed to admit that I am just here, sometimes very occupied with baking projects and in betweens, I sew, organize stuff, read and do the endless cycle of putting away toys. I have forgotten about this blog, really until today when I was searching for some photos and came across my own blog. I thought it looked familiar, hahaha!
So, before I forget this again for a month let me vent out my frustration with men, cake and travel.
See that Ariel Cake before this post? This cake had the same fate.
The common factors for disaster: men and travel
Let me explain. The Ariel cake was picked up by three men. The second man who received the cake carried it like carrying an ordinary box full of stuff when otherwise it should be carried straight up, fully supported underneath. It was set on his lap during travel and perhaps they were travelling at full speed because they were late for the event.
The three-tier cake was also set on the lap of a man and traveled over a hundred miles at full speed otherwise they won't reach their destination in two hours time. I gave instructions to check the topper every now and then (that would of course include the cake). It would have been best to travel the cakes unstacked but it would not be possible when I wouldn't be in the location to stack it and do the final details on it. I was very confident the cake would withstand since it was well-doweled. However, carrying it on a lap during travel when it is not otherwise flat would really contribute to it's sad fate made worst by 60-80 mph travel speed. I would always drive snail slow when I have cake on the car. When we delivered the 5-tier cake to Dakak on some rough road, two tiers were stacked and carried on my lap. I was like hugging the cake the whole time and we drove really slow. The cake arrived at the location perfectly okay.
The next time a cake would have to travel outside the city leave me with two options:
1. I travel with the cake.
2. I won't make the cake.
I won't cry over spilled milk. Huhuhu!

2 comments:
hi there kate! I so love your cakes. They were really crafted by a master. Limpyo kaayo pagkahimo. I was wondering where did you learn how to decorate cake so professionally. I am planning also to study.galing kasi pagkagawa mo at sobrang galing ng attention mo to details and ang linis talaga pati.
i came across your blog while looking for a meringue powder supplier here in Manila. Thanks for the tips. hope you can post more of your creations, they're very inspiring :)
Post a Comment