Frozen Bananas
>> Tuesday, August 31, 2010
Frozen bananas are the simplest to make or so I thought. I desperately wanted to make one as soon as the word hit me, but it took me two weeks to finally make it because of busy schedules. Once I got the chance, I hastily cut up some lakatan (cavendish) bananas in half, stuck popsicle sticks on the cut up sides, froze it for an hour.
As I was too excited, right before the timer rung, started to prepare for the chocolate coating. That's when I scrambled to look for the recipe that I found online. One that would not get crispy once frozen. All attempts were in vain. "The next time, bookmark it", I told myself. So I just made it with the most common frosting for frozen bananas. That is by melting chocolate and butter together. I used two tablespoons of butter for 150grams of bittersweet chocolate.
Was I successful? I wouldn't ask it if I was. Okay, okay, for that part only. The chocolate sizzled. I think it was because some condensation from the butter wrapper got into my hand and eventually into the butter. That is how sensitive the chocolate is which is why when melting chocolates, make sure that not even a teeny tiny drop of water gets in contact with it. To not put the chocolate into waste, I heated up a little cream and melted the chocolate again. I ended up coating the frozen bananas with ganache. Allowed to cool and thicken a bit, it made a perfect coating.
I coated a few pieces with sprinkles which gave a good crunch to it.
Wait, the story doesn't end here. Let me continue for you will learn something especially if it is the first time you will make it. Read on.
Freezing bananas for an hour doesn't harden it. Just not yet. Frozen delights are hard. Yet it was harder for me to imagine biting a hard banana so I ate one stick after the chocolate coating had set. Yummy. Soft. Then I went to sleep.
The first thing I thought and uhm, did upon waking, was to eat one. That was the real frozen banana. Hard. Cold. Very cold. Yummy? No, it was superbly yummy. It tasted like frozen banana ice cream with chocolate coating. Heaven. Really. At least for me. I lied when I said I ate one. I ate two. Promise, just two. My housemates ate the rest. In short, bitin ako. Still the story does not end there.
Three days after, I made a new batch. I decided to freeze the bananas for two hours to allow it to harden. I had my reasons. I wanted to immediately eat a literally frozen banana right after I coat it with chocolate. Epic fail. I forgot to stuck some popsicle sticks before freezing them and I could not do it anymore without breaking the bananas. Arg. I ate them using a fork.
Learn from it. Peel and cut the bananas. Stick the sticks. Freeze. Coat with melted chocolate and roll in some sprinkles or nuts or leave 'em plain. I still have a lot to write about this heavenly dessert but I am too sleepy to do it. This post will probably have a part two. Goodnight for now. I will dream of FROZEN BANANAS.
0 comments:
Post a Comment