Marshmallow Fondant
>> Wednesday, May 21, 2008
An easy way to make fondant. You can easily find the ingredients in your supermarket shelves. You just need a microwave oven to melt the marshmallows or you can melt the marshmallow over double boiler. Many cake artists are already shifting from the traditional fondant recipe to this one primarily because of the big difference in taste and the ease of preparation.
INGREDIENTS (You can half the recipe):
- 1 pound or
2.2kgabout 500 grams white marshmallow, preferably use the small ones (mini) - 3-4 tbsps water
- 2 lbs powdered sugar (measured then sifted)
- a generous amount of shortening
1. Combine marshmallow and water and melt it in the microwave for around 2 minutes stirring at 30 seconds interval or melt it in double boiler. The latter takes way longer to make (around 10-15 minutes, shorter for smaller batch).
2. Once melted, immediately add the powdered sugar reserving about 1/3 of it. Mix with a large rubber spatula. Generously place shortening on your working table and on your hands.
3. Transfer the mixture to your working table and start working out your arm muscles. Knead. Add more sugar if it is still sticky. Knead some more until pliable. If you don't intend to use the mixture right away, cover the dough with some shortening then store in a ziplock bag. You can store it in the refrigerator for ah, uhm, I forgot, maybe a month (can't find my notes).
Note: You can use marshmallow from the supermarkets but it will come out more expensive. Buy them from your bakery supplies store...but be careful, make sure you ask for the brand name and stay away from Markenburg, a local brand in the Philippines. No offense meant but read my post about a marshmallow incident.- Some Useful Tips:
1. You can melt the dough by adding a little water and microwaving at half power for your poured fondant icing. You can then use it for poured fondant recipe.
2. If the dough is too dry and too hard (I mean matigas) to knead, microwave at "defrost" for 10-15 seconds to soften a bit then knead and use right away. Just a word of caution, sometimes this doesn't work hehehe.
3. If you can avoid it, don't make too many if you don't intend to use it in a week's time. You can store in an airtight container for a week, no need to refrigerate. I really don't like to use refrigerated fondant. I like working on fondant that is at least a day old.
20 comments:
thanks dyud au.
hello kate. just want to ask how do you cover your cake with fondant. do you put any frosting before you put the actual fondant? How a wish you have a tutorial for that. One more thing reagrding the CMC powder that can be bought in HI-Q Commercial is that the one your telling that is made from Holland?
Hi Jhoanne, yes the CMC in Hi-Q is made from Holland. Regarding covering fondant with cake, yes, lightly crumb coat muna the cake with butter frosting bago takpan. Dami sa Youtube sis tutorial ng fondant. Post ko one of these days.
got 800 grams of mini mallows, prob is how many confectioners sugar do i nid for this mallows?
the usual ratio of marshmallow to sugar is 1:2, so you need 1.6 kilograms, that's about 12 cups of powdered sugar.
kate,correct me if im wrong, seems that u inverted the marshmallow above in the ingredients 1 pound or 2.2kg white marshmallow. do u mean 1kg=2.2lbs? lol
hahaha, thanks johnmarconi for calling my attention, gosh. I've corrected it already. thanks again.
hi Kate!
I'm glad I have read your baking tips. It is really informative especially to new bakers like me. I will definitely try your frostings and fondant recipe. I also will find time to visit divi and quiapo for my baking supplies.
Thanks for sharing :)
Hi Cheen, thanks for dropping by. Happy baking!
hi kate,
what do you think is the best frosting for crumb coating especially for a newbie like me. i tried the italian meringue buttercream but it didnt crust at all even after freezing it for 4 hours. when i cover the cake with fondant, it became sticky and sweaty i couldnt even touch it. i tried to put in front of my fan but the condensation gets worse. pls help!
Hi there, if you really want a crusting buttercream to crumb coat your cake, use the American buttercream recipe. Unfortunately, I don't have one posted in my Recipe Archive. I used to use it for my fondant cakes but since I stay away from butter icing with shortening, I now prefer to use either boiled icing or IMBC for smaller cakes. I read at a cake forum that ganache is the best icing for fondant covered cakes. Anyway, for american buttercream, the ratio is usually 1:1:4 which means 1 cup butter, 1 cup Crisco and 4 cups of powdered sugar. I will try to post one day the American buttercream I used to use for my cakes. Happy caking!
hi ms kate! i really hope you could answer my question here. I have been reading your blog for quite some time already and sure did learn a lot! especially the chocolate cake and fudge frosting!! YUMYUM.
i want tried covering my cakes with fondant. however i notice that after some time, it gets sweaty and moist (the fondant). i wanted it to be neat to touch sana. what do you think is the problem? i dont refrigerate them. i used btw, the fudge frosting to frost my cake.
also, what type of icing do you use for these cupcake toppers http://bewitchedkate.multiply.com/photos/album/10/Message_Cupcake#photo=16
it seems hard and can stand alone. my fondant cant do that i guess. is that gumpaste? or pastillage? id really want to learn more from you. i hope you answer. thanks ms. kate!!
Hi CH, thanks for following my blog. humidity plays a very important role in making or breaking the fondant. If air is too humid when making fondant, the fondant will absorb the air's moisture making it soft and wet and almost impossible to handle. When it happens try doing it in an airconditioned room, hate to say this but it does matter. Also, before using your fondant, it is important to rest it overnight. Make your fondant at least a day ahead to give it ample time to rest, it will be easier to handle then and try using buttercream to crumb coat your fondant also instead of the fudge frosting.
For that cupcake on the link, I used boiled icing on that. For the toppers, I use a 50-50 mix of gumpaste and fondant.
wow! thanks for answering! :) thank you very much. i will try again using your tips. ill let you know what happens! thank you!
hi kate,
i made the same cake I did last week including the same italian meringue buttercream recipe but this time I made sure that the crumb coat i applied was super thin. my prob was instantly gone. i was happy coz it looked smooth. the funny thing is i can see through it. the vanilla layers are okay but the chocolate layers are visible under the white fondant. i think I know what to do next time.
thanks a lot kate. you and mayen of youtube are my baking heroes.
xoxo,
cecil
Hi Cecil, make it thicker next time especially if you are using just white fondant hehehe. Thanks again.
may I ask if a wedding cake covered with fondant be eaten? it felt like it will be taken off the fondant before eating the cake only. What is it taste like?
there are people who do not like to eat fondant on a cake. I am one of them. I do eat fondant pieces, not just with cake. The marshmallow fondant tastes better than other fondant. just think of marshmallow. That's how it tastes only sweeter, of course with the addition of powdered sugar.
Hi kate, i would like to know as to how long you can store gumpaste figurines? i made some figurines 1 month ago but when i stored it in an airtight container( i even put silica gel in it), after a few days it began to sweat.
Hi Map, I know this is a very late answer. I had the same problem with gumpaste toppers too. I realized that when you keep them in covered containers they get stale. The best way to do it is airdry it for a few days first before keep it in a container.
Post a Comment